What to Wear:
- Good walking shoes
- Socks- hiking socks & liners recommended
- Comfortable trekking pants or shorts
- T-shirt (Moisture Management top is ideal)
- Hat or Peak Cap
What to pack in your Daypack:
- Lightweight top/ fleece in case of cold weather
- Rain jacket or windbreaker in case of wind & rain
- Sunscreen & Lip balm
- Tissues or Handkerchief
- Water Bottle (at least 2 litres)
- Cash (Silvermine Entrance & Cable Car)
- Camera & charged Battery
- Optional: first aid kit including blister kit
- Optional: Trekking poles
- Optional (& useful): penknife
Overnight Pack (portered):
- Warm Clothing for evening- long pants and top
- Beanie/ fleece hat
- Extra socks
- Evening footwear (optional - flipflops/sandals for shower)
- Personal toiletries
- Torch/flashlight - headlamp recommended
- Mosquito repellent
- Sleeping Bag & pillow
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner & Snacks are included in the overnight hiking packages on the Hoerikwaggo Trail. Please let us know if you have any dietary requirements.
Linen and pillow are provided at Smitswinkel and Slangkop Tented camps.
Transport & Porterage
Porterage of personal belongings to the overnight camp is included.
Transport to the start of your hike and from the finish point can be arranged on request
Hiking Rules & Regulations
- Picking flowers and fynbos is strictly prohibited.
- Please always stay on the paths!
- Do not feed or disrupt any animals
Qualified Hiking Guides
Your guide is a registered Nature Tourist Guides with a vast knowledge of Culture and Heritage
Your guide has over 30 years expereince in the Table Mountain National Park
Hikers are obliged to accept the guidance and advice of the Guide
Your guide will carry first aid kit with them
Security & Safety
All overnight facilities will have a permanent on-site management and security presence – you will have nothing to worry about!
Fire & Wood
Fire is only allowed in designated fire areas under the supervision of a trained and accredited guide.
Wood can be purchased at the tented camps when available.
All the Hoerikwaggo trails have alternative routes should the weather turn foul.
Each of these alternative routes is as enjoyable as the primary route although possibly less challenging.
See our October 2012 blog on the 1 day and 1 night hike from Slangkop to Silvermine, with overnight accommodation at Silvermine Tented Camp during Spring 2012. Read more...
Tell Winter to Take a Hike! This story is about winter hiking in the Cape with some recommended routes and popular trails, written in June 2012. Read More...