A classic Cape scuba diving adventure- dive with the playful & interactive Cape Fur Seals in a cold water reef and the Seven Gill Cowsharks in a kelp forest. The Seven Gill Cowshark, is a prehistoric apex predator which is seen regularly enough at one location.
Diving with Cape Fur Seals is just plain fun. The seals are natural acrobats and extremely curious and interactive. They will mimic the divers' spins and dances, will chase bubbles and investigate the noises coming through the diver's regulators.
Being in the presence of Seven Gill Cowsharks is one of the most unique diving experiences you can have. These sharks are known as a deep-water species yet, they gather in number at only one dive site in False Bay. These sharks approach divers without chum and divers swim freely without the need for a cage. Diving with this ancient shark species is possible in only a few places on the planet and Cape Town is the best location to have long interaction times. Distinctive features include their seven gill slits (other sharks have 5) and the absence of the front dorsal fin.
The dive is approximately 12m deep, the boat positions itself in a channel above the sandy gullies between the kelp beds. Diver get in position and wait for the sevengill sharks to swim past on their regular routes up and down the channels. Seven Gill Cowsharks use collaborative hunting methods to feed on seals, sharks and fish, a behaviour which has earned them the nickname 'wolves of the sea'.
It’s a great opportunity for underwater photographers as the sandy bottom and kelp forests, that attract other species such as the gully shark, pyjama shark, leopard shark and puffadder shyshark. By the end of the dive, you will recognise the individuals by distinctive bites, scrapes or colouration. Their curiosity makes this a superb shark experience.
- 09h00: Arrive at shop to fill in paperwork & rental forms, fit rental equipment and pack the boat
- 10h00: At the jetty, Divers are briefed, board the boat & head out for their first dive.
- 11h00: Dives last 40-50 minutes, divers change cylinders, & move to next location.
- 16h00: Return to the shop after completing the dives, for a toastie and completion of logbooks with the divemaster.
Valid until 31 December 2019
R2,050 per person
- Two boat dives with a divemaster briefing and underwater tour.
- Any rental equipment required.
- Marine Protected Area permit for diving in protected waters.
- Lunch and coffee from our in-house cafe.
- Dry clothes to change into
- Camera (If waterproof)
- Motion sickness medication (if applicable - consult your physician)
- Warm jacket
- Participants must have a PADI Open Water Diver license or equivalent.
- Dived within the past 6-months and be comfortable in the water though no requirement that diver must have had cold water experience.
- We offer a quick pre-boat dives pool refresher for those who feel that they need it for a small fee. This would be completed in the morning before the boat launches.
- These sharks are seen all year round, peak time is May to August
- Dives are always weather permitting and subject to favourable sea conditions.