CLICK HERE for 2012 Year end Function Ideas!
Yup it’s time for the annual office party to celebrate the year end and all the hard work done this year. Who is the team member in charge of finding an activity and a venue for the meal and have to keep everyone happy! All companies big and small seek out the perfect venue each year to host their yearend function or Christmas party, this requires a lot of shopping around to find a venue with the right facilities, service and price.
The venue can be combined with a variety of activities or teambuilding activities to enable your staff to relax, have fun, celebrate their achievements of the year and chat to each other as people and not as colleagues! Here are some venue and activity suggestions from Cape Point Route to make that planning a little easier and to ensure a successful yearend function.
BOAT TRIP AND LUNCH: HOUT BAY
An ideal yearend function for large groups is to head out to sea on a 45 minute boat trip to Duiker Island with Drumbeat Charters to get some fresh air and absorb the beauty of Hout Bay. Then take your group to lunch at Wharfside Grill at Mariners Wharf for a nautical experience where seafood is the speciality. Alternatively try Chapman’s Peal Hotel for some of the best calamari in the Southern Hemisphere but they do have a sizzling grill for carnivores including some Portuguese style dishes.
FISHING AND EATING: HOUT BAY
This is a treat for a small group, passionate about the sea and fishing. Hooked on Africa offers corporate packages to experience the thrill of deep sea fishing and is an unforgettable experience as a yearend function. A special occasion that can be a full or half day adventure, followed by drinks and lunch or dinner at the Lookout Deck. The Lookout Deck is located in Hout Bay harbour so you’ll get off the boat and straight into the refreshments. Partners and families can join the group at the end of the day.
WINE AND DINE WITH TASTINGS AND TAPAS: NOORDHOEK
This yearend function is ideal for an afternoon function and perfect for small to medium groups. Stop at Cape Point Vineyards on the southern slopes of Chapman’s Peak Drive for a wine tasting of some of their award winning wines. Standard, premium and elite tastings are available. Then head to Noordhoek Farm Village where the Foodbarn Deli converts into a Tapas Bar on Tuesday to Sunday nights – serving tapas portions that can be shared or eaten individually. Tapas items range from roasted peppers, whole chorizo, flash fried prawns, chicken wings tagine, green beans or chickpea ragout, to churros in chocolate dip or strawberries in red wine for dessert. Group bookings essential.
HORSE RIDING AND FEAST: COUNTRY FUN IN NOORDHOEK
Small teams and corporate groups can consider a beach horse ride in Noordhoek for something completely different. The ride is 2 hours along the beach with views of Chapman’s Peak and a visit to the Kakapo shipwreck on Noordhoek Beach. Follow this up with a meal that could feed a horse at either Café Roux or the Toad at Noordhoek Farm Village. Café Roux is an institution in the south peninsula featuring uncomplicated café food for breakfast or lunch. Another thought is to book your group for the summer Friday braai nights – an informal braai setting where each guest selects their braai meat and it’s cooked for you on an open fire. The Toad is an excellent yearend function alternative in Noordhoek. This is Bob Skinstad’s country pub and presided over by Ronald Mustafa Ponsenby McGraff (aka The Toad). Under the thatch rood or in the beer garden, the Toad prides himself on fine food and quality drink and mostly he loves stories and people who talk amongst themselves whilst being merry! Contact the Toad for set meals for groups and bring your toad tales!
THE BIG OSTRICH BRAAI: Cape Point Ostrich Farm
Having a braai is one of the most relaxed yearend functions and a popular choice for Christmas functions. We suggest doing a braai differently at Cape Point Ostrich Farm. Ostrich meat is one of the healthiest red meats you can eat and the Beer Garden at Cape Point Ostrich Farm can seat up to 200 people in its rustic wooded structure. Situated near the entrance to Cape Point – the Ostrich Farm offers pre-booked braais for groups including starters of ostrich liver pate, bread and butter followed by grilled ostrich fillet with baked potatoes and salad. There is a leather and egg shop on site for the shopaholics. Take time to walk around the breeding farm.
Tented Camp Overnight Getaway: Table Mountain National Park
This is a brilliant option for a low cost getaway for a small group in a beautiful, relaxed setting. Table Mountain National Park has 4 tented camps on the Cape Point Route – each sleeping 12 people in total. So gather the group and arrive in nature for an informal evening near Smitswinkel Bay, Slangkop at Kommetjie Lighthouse, Silvermine Nature Reserve or Hout Bay’s Orangekloof. The camps are self catering but catering options can be arranged. This can be combined with a day hike or walk or even a 2 day hike for the more energetic.
WATER WONDERS AND PIZZA PARTY: Simon’s Town
Combine a fun activity such as tandem sea kayaking or a boat trip from Simon’s Town harbour followed by pizza at Café Pescado on the main street. The sea kayaking is done in safe stable kayaks and is as much fun as you can get to the water without being in it! A boat trip is less energetic and a wonderful way to experience the waters of False Bay by doing a harbour cruise, seal island cruise or a Cape Point cruise. Theme your lunch or dinner at Café Pescado to round off a cool day out that won’t cost the earth!
The Murder Mystery Dinner is a perfect event at Villa St James. This mansion on the millionaire’s mile has all the components required for an evening of intrigue. All those Cluedo fans of Miss Scarlett and Colonel Mustard, Mrs Peacock, Revered Green and Professor Plum can use the Candlestick or the Rope or the Lead Pipe as the murder weapon in the Dining Room, the conservatory, the hall, the study, the kitchen or the billiard room (yes there really is proper billiard room!). It’s a great spot for an overnight breakaway or a private dinner. The grand dining room has a table that seats 24- 30 people and is superb for a privately catered function.
PURE RESTAURANT: Hout Bay
The signature restaurant ‘Pure’ is the heart of Hout Bay Manor, Cape Town. Open to the public and guests, it is a culinary journey of senses, ideal for a decadent dinner or Sunday lunch. ‘Pure’ is a temple to stylish dining, seating just 60 guests amid a tranquil palette of creams, whites and charmingly rustic driftwood dividers. It’s as beautifully thought out and presented as everything you’ll find on the ever changing menu. This signature restaurant is a must for those wishing to indulge in an evening of gourmet delights in the elegantly casual setting- perfect for a stylish year end function. The Executive Chef uses the best of local produce, organic when possible, to create dishes that live up to Pure‘s vision – ‘a fusion of purity’.
Make Your Yearend Function more interesting with some of these ideas:
- Choose a theme and dress up: you could choose anything from a letter of the alphabet to a country or a time zone e.g Ancient Egypt. Pick a pirate theme or under the sea – whatever you choose, dress up is a fun to prepare for!
- The Christmas karaoke sing-along– it’s a great ice-breaker for any function and provides lots of laughter.
- Photo shoots – get a big frame, hire a photographer and take fun dress up shots with your colleagues.
- Learn to Dance – Hire a dance teacher which is a superb way to get everyone involved especially at an evening function. The type of dance is optional and could be anything from a salsa teacher to line dancing.
- Quiz evenings – hire a quiz master and have rounds of questions answered by each table. Prizes for high scores, low scores, best dressed and it’s less athletic than many yearend functions.
- Amazing Race – see our selection of amazing races using various forms of transport, in various areas of Cape Town – your choice will depend on time and budget, number of people and will be tailor made to your company. Find clues and perform tasks to take you to your next checkpoint.
- Teambuilding is a great way to motivate your team, get management to think out the box or just host a corporate event to say thank you as your yearend function. The choices for teambuilding are vast but can be tailormade to your group. Examples include the Adventure Cook-Ateering Challenge, the Forest Survivor Challenge, the Waterfront Discovery Challenge or Beach Olympics amongst others.
- Do something completely different and find a cause to connect with be it planting trees or building food gardens, reading to the elderly or taking a disabled child on an outing. It could be a cause related to health, animals, children, sports, the arts or the environment. Become part of a greater community project and make social changes.
For all these suggestions or to get more ideas for your Christmas Party contact Cape Point Route to assist with your company’s yearend function and ensure a successful closure of 2011.
Contact Cape Point Route on 021 782 9356 or visit the website: www.capepointroute.co.za