17 October 2015 (Saturday) is African Penguin Awareness Day, dedicated to raising worldwide awareness about the plight of the endangered African penguin – the only penguin endemic to the African continent.
Join the Southern African Foundation for the Conservation of Coastal Birds (SANCCOB) and the South African National Parks – Table Mountain National Park (SANParks) for the annual Penguin Festival at Boulder’s Beach (Simon’s Town, Western Cape). As is customary every year, the Penguin festival is officially opened with a beach release of African penguins, as they waddle their way back into the wild at Seaforth Beach (Simon’s Town) at 10h00. Parking may be found at the Seaforth beach parking area – be sure to arrive early to find the perfect viewpoint on the beach for this special occasion.
After the release, festival goers can stroll along the scenic Boulders Beach boardwalk to the parking area in front of the Boulders Beach Lodge and Restaurant (Bellevue Road) for the festival activities. Fun attractions on the day include an interactive LEGO Build display, kiddies games, face-painting, a treasure hunt, jumping castle, live animal talks and food stalls for young and old. Entry to the festival is free and runs until 14h00.
Exhibitions from City of Cape Town, SANParks, SANCCOB, South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) and Cape Town Environmental Education Trust (CTEET) will be on display on the day.
Less than 2% of the African penguin population remain in the wild today. Together, SANCCOB, SANParks and their partners in conservation are at the forefront of saving the charismatic African penguin species. All proceeds from the festival are donated to SANCCOB in support of their African penguin conservation work.
What you can do to help to conserve African penguins
- Adopt and name an African penguin by visiting www.sanccob.co.za
- Report injured penguins and/or oiled birds to SANCCOB by calling (021) 557 6155 (normal work hours) / 078 638 3731 (after hours & weekends)
- Donate to SANCCOB online at sanccob.co.za/donate or see what items are needed on SANCCOB’s Wish List www.sanccob.co.za/donate/wish-list
- Visit SANCCOB’s online shop for penguin goodies at sanccob.co.za/shop-online
- Raise funds for SANCCOB by simply swiping your MySchool MyVillage MyPlanet card: sanccob.co.za/donate/myschool-myvillage-myplanet
- Volunteer at SANCCOB by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Start your own fundraising campaign for SANCCOB with Just Giving: home.justgiving.com
Cape Point Route loves African Penguin Awareness Day (& penguins)
Cape Point Route also offers day tours, packages, accommodation, activities and car hire in Cape Town’s south peninsula in addition to teambuilding events in Cape Town. Call 021 789 0093 or visit www.capepointroute.co.za