In fact the AKAA love penguins so much they are waddling for a week to raise awareness for the African Penguin.
The Penguin Promises Waddle for a Week is not a fundraising initiative. This a campaign focused on lifestyle and behaviour change that will have a positive impact on the environment.
The AKAA is waddling from Gansbaai to Boulders Beach in Simon’s Town from 16th April – 21 April 2012
Join the WADDLE with them on the final day
Saturday 21st April 2012 – 15km stroll
Where: Muizenberg (Surfer’s Corner 9am) to Simonstown (Boulder’s )
Wear: black and white in support of African penguins. Sunhats, sunscreen
Bring: a spirit of fun! friends, families, walk your dogs
Tell: the world how important this species is!
Make: a penguin promise (use eco-friendly cleaners, recycle, refuse plastic bags, save water)
See: www.penguinpromises.com for more info on African penguins and Waddle 2012
PENGUIN PROMISES WADDLE FOR A WEEK 2012
- It is estimated that the African Penguin could be extinct in the wild within 15 years.
- This scary fact has inspired a group of people to raise awareness about the plight of these iconic birds
- The first ever Penguin Promises Waddle in 2011 proved to be a massive success for African penguins everywhere! the exposure was worth every step of the way and the group is inspired and crazy enough to do it all over again. This year they intend to create MORE awareness for this African penguin species which is both endemic and endangered.
- WHEN: Monday 16 April – Saturday 21 April 2012
- ROUTE: Gansbaai to Boulders Beach in Simon’s Town
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
- Mobilise your town and get the community to support this amazing initiative
- Join the waddlers on their trek, either for an hour or a day or even through the streets of your town
- Speak to the schools and get the school children involved.
- Suggest that the children wear black and white for the day the Waddlers visit your town
- Schools can contact Bianca Engel at the Two Oceans Aquarium about ways to get involved. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Declare 16 – 21 April 2012 “African Penguin Week” in your town
- Encourage people to visit www.penguinpromises.com and to pledge a promise to change their behaviour
- Speak to your local media representatives and get them to cover/follow the Waddle for a Week
- Make a promise and change your behaviour.
- SMS your promise to 34008 with keyword “penguin (followed by your promise)”
- Examples of penguin promises: ” I promise to take my own reusable bags to the shops instead of buying plastic bags” . “I promise to switch to indigenous plants in my garden” . ” I promise to service my car regularly and check the environmental credentials of the service station” . ” I promise to buy local where possible”