Capetonians – this one is for you and it’s a no-brainer! One card, R80, 12 entries to Table Mountain National Park.
My Green Card has been launched by Table Mountain National Park and for just R80 Cape Town residents get 12 free entries into any of the Table Mountain National Parks pay points per year. 4 out of 7 sections are on the Cape Point Route so we’ve definitely got ours already! The Table Mountain National Parks sections available on your MY GREEN CARD include:
- Cape of Good Hope
- Boulders Penguin Colony
- Tokai braai and picnic area
- Newlands braai and picnic area
- Perdekloof braai and picnic area.
Even if you don’t use all 12 entries per year from your annual MY GREEN CARD, it’s still a great deal as ONE adult entry to Cape Point normally costs R80! You are only allowed one card per year, so if you use all your entries up in the first month then that’s it!
You can however buy a SANParks Wild Card if you need more entries or are planning to visit other South African National Parks. The SANParks wild cards come in various forms – from individual to family memberships, and also based on membership clusters (from all parks to just a Western Cape Cluster for example!) Click here for more.
My Green Card has the ADDED BONUS of allowing family and friends to come in with you, when entering one of the Table Mountain National Parks pay points. Each card holder is welcome to bring a maximum of 5 South African citizens (Proof of ID required) including 3 adults and 2 children.
To buy your very own My Green Card, you will need R80, proof of residence and 2 ID photographs. If you have all the correct stuff the card will be issued immediately. My Green Card can be purchased at the following places:
- Shop A1, Westlake Square, Corner of Westlake Drive and Steenberg Road in Westlake at the TMNP offices. Office hours are Monday to Friday: 8am – 3pm
- Boulders Visitor Centre – 1Kleintuin Road, Seaforth, Simon’s Town. Office hours Monday to Sunday: 8am – 4pm
- Tokai Forest TMNP Office, Tokai Road, Tokai. Office hours Monday to Friday: 8am – 4pm but closed between 1pm and 2pm
- Buffelsfontein Visitor Centre, INSIDE the Cape of Good Hope Section of Table Mountain National Park. Office Hours Monday to Sunday: 8am – 4pm. (Cape Point Route Hint – get your card before going else you have to pay to get into the park before you can buy your card!)
Please note that permits for specific recreational activities (dog walking, mountain biking, fishing, crayfishing, etc.) and/or permits for commercial purposes (special events, filming, photography, tour guiding, etc.) are not included when purchasing a SANParks Wild Card or TMNP My Green Card and must be obtained separately.
- Tel: +27 (0)21 701 8692 or
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
And for more good news for South African Citizens from SANParks whether you have a MY GREEN CARD or not – there is a chance to access your natural heritage during the annual South African National Parks week which runs from 12 – 16 September 2011. It includes FREE ENTRY to all South African National Parks (excluding Boulders; Mokala and Namaqua). All you need is your South African ID for free entry! Visit www.sanparks.org for more information or email: Nicole.email@example.com
The five parks in the Cape Region are Agulhas, Bontebok, Table Mountain National Park, Tankwa and West Coast National Parks. Boulders in Table Mountain National Park is not included due to the sensitive nature of the site and because there are strict limitations with regards to the number of people (unsupervised kids in particular) who are in that section of the Park at any given time.