It’s that time of year for cheerful carols, mischief under the mistletoe and trees filled with stars and topped with angels. The colour of the Christmas season is undoubtedly red – all shades of red adorn the shelves as gold & silver glitter around boxes and from windows.
The question is what to put under the star-clad tree? Christmas shopping can be time consuming, tedious and in today’s economic climate expensive too. Searching for the right Christmas gift can be challenging at the best of times but when the stores are crowded it can be overwhelming!
Here are some of the top rated shopping destinations and stores on the Cape Point Route where you can shop for jewellery, gadgets, goodies, outdoor essentials, art, décor, crafts, clothes and more! You’ll find Christmas Gifts for mum, Christmas Gifts for dad, Christmas gifts for your brother or your sister, Christmas Gifts for your aunt, uncle, cousin, Christmas Gifts for friends, partners, loved ones… even Auntie Suzy and Uncle Bob!
Christmas Gift Fair: Kommetjie
Kick off your festive season shopping spree at this 4 day Christmas Gift Fair. Be swept away by the magically transformed hall in which gifts fill every corner. You will have the opportunity to purchase fabulous fresh and funky gifts. There is something for everyone, ranging from decor, jewellery, clothing, crafts, to a delicious deli of tasty treats and goodies to compliment your festive spread.
Live music on Friday and Saturday between 4 and 7pm; Christmas Carols on Sunday 16th (bring own blanket, R40 per child) and daily cheese & wine as well as kids entertainment. This IS lifestyle shopping at it’s best. Some of the products will include laptop covers, candles, sarongs, garden accessories, beach bags and ballet outfits, environmental green gifts, picnic blankets, jewellery, surf ware, hanging plants, fairy boxes, clothing, wind chimes and braai tongs with a torch! Read More…
Dates: Friday 14 Dec – Monday 17 Dec 2012
Time: Fri –Sun: 9am- 7pm | Mon: 9am – 5pm
Venue: Kommetjie Primary School
Cost: R10 per adult. (proceeds to Kommetjie primary school)
tel: 082 879 5571
Mainstream Mall: Hout Bay
The largest and classiest shopping experience in Hout Bay! Mainstream Mall in Hout Bay is set in a village environment making lingering over your shopping easier. The stores range from health and beauty outlets to clothing and shoe stores, as well as Woolworths, CNA and Clicks. Plenty of parking, friendly to the physically challenged, it has 24 hour security with banking facilities and restaurants and cafes for refreshment. Easy Peasy Christmas Shopping all in one spot! Tel: 021 790 2345 Read More…
Noordhoek Farm Village: Noordhoek
What a pleasure to shop here! Green Grass, open space, easy access to a linear row of unique shops with an indoor/outdoor courtyard/barnyard type feel. Home to a country pub, sushi, tapas, deli, & gourmet restaurant the village is known for its food, aesthetic appeal and village charm. The shopping however is superb – unique owner run stores with everything from books to beads, ceramics to cuttings, candy and craft, clothing and Carrol Boyes! Local art, laugh it off t-shirts, home decor, massages, mugs, sandals and even saddles! AND the offer gift wrapping at the delightful Pandora’s Box. Tel: 021 789 1317 Read More…
Feel Good Shopping: helping communities
Do your Christmas Shopping and make a difference to local communities and lives! Talented artists are creating exceptional items. Many of these artists were previously unemployed and have deployed their life experiences in the creations. Many have learnt life skills and business skills as a result of the projects they are involved in. Both shopping destinations below have workshops where you can observe the production and the team at work!
- Zizamele Ceramics in Kommetjie is about art making a difference – the team at Zizamele export quality ceramics, that make beautiful Christmas gifts. Tel: 084 556 6423 Read More…
- T-bag Design in Hout Bay is another upliftment business producing craft and gifts from recycled and painted t-bags. They produce some exquisite stationary in particular. Tel: 021 790 0887
We are big fans of markets – they keep shopping local and support local artists, craftsmen and local producers. Plus they are vibrant, bright colourful, social and fun! Here are 2 of our favourite weekend markets.
- Bay Harbour Market : Hout Bay
This once abandoned fish factory in Hout Bay Harbour has roared to life as one of Cape Town’s hottest markets – culture, cutting edge design, sociability… the beers are cold and the vibe is hot. Find the perfect gift for Christmas – from wooden words for every room to crochet characters hand-stitched for your Christmas tree. There’s cushions and lampshades, bags, hats, jewellery, lotions & potions, prints, clocks and carvings! Plus there is live music on the sound stage every Friday evening and auctions with a twist on a Sunday! Tel: 082 570 5997 Read More…
- Blue Bird Garage market: Muizenberg
Set in the heart of Muizenberg in an old warehouse- this is a heartwarming neighbourhood food and goods market. It’s family friendly and there is a range of high quality food & produce. Great selection of Hand-made goods, collectable books, bespoke jewellery, one-of-a-kind treasures and they have live music, tables and community spirit! Fridays from 16h00 – 22h00; Sunday 11am – 4pm Tel: 082 493 9055
Imhoff Farm: Kommetjie
The original stables, silo, smithy, slave quarters and milking sheds of the farm which dates back to 1743 now house fantastic shops including La Belle Armoire (transforming furniture into works of art); Peek-a-Boo (a babes, tots & kids boutique); Under the Attic (gifts, furniture & home decor); the Old Cape Wine Shop (wide range of great value wines); Lindsay Quirk Art Studio (print & art classes with works for sale); Precious Cargo (kids suff, chandeliers, recycled glass products, musical instruments, clothing & more) ; Rummage ( 2nd hand clothing & vintage clothes) ; Little Piece of Africa (stone sculptures); Imhoff Chees (hand made cheese made on the farm!); Imhoff Plants (herbs, seedlings & indigenous plants) ; Chocolat (the name says it all!) and Dolphin Tail Books (cosy bookshop). Fabulous space for stress-free Christmas shopping. Tel: 021 783 4545 Read More…
Kalk Bay Shopping :
Kalk Bay is known for its harbour and its restaurants but the shopping is a treasure trove in its own right. The coastal road is dotted with shops and alleyways filled with antique stores, galleries, book shops, decor and interior shops, gifts, craft, clothing, fashion, jewellery, markets and more. Here’s Cape Point Route’s mini A-Z of Kalk Bay shopping….
- Artvark (wrought iron art) and ANPA (hand made jewellery),
- Beatnik Bazaar (retro, modern and vintage) and Big Blue (South African brands and designs) and Blossom (handmade with love stuff!);
- Cape to Cairo (object d’art),
- Frankies (vintage Chic fashion);
- Gypsey (bohemian fashion!), Global Beads (bead shop);
- India Jane (sophisticated women’s wear);
- JAPS (Jo’annes Antique Carpets & Kelims),
- Kalk Bay Trading Post (unique pieces – go hunting!), Kalk Bay Books (say no more!) ;
- Mystic Rose (dresses for THAT occasion), Mythology (women’s fashion);
- Oh So Boho (Indian cotton garments);
- Quagga Trading (Rare treasures from Art to Books);
- Railway house (antique trove); Ska (relaxed fashion), Sugerberry trading (antiques and art);
- The treasure Trove (antiques), Tattoo (tattoos!),
- The Whatnot and Chinatown (as the name says! )…
- ….but we encourage browsing for yourself. .. and you can “do” the whole village on foot! Read More..
Simon’s Town Shopping:
We love shopping in Simon’s Town especially at Christmas time as it is far far far from the maddening mall crowd. A great place for Browsing and Buying. A popular destination for art and art works which make great gifts to books, curios, clothing and decor. Secret spots for Simon’s Town Shopping.
- Sophea Gallery & Tibetan TeaHouse. Known more for it’s nourishment at the teahouse, don’t forget to stop at the shop – Buddhist artefacts, exquisite silver jewellery, statues and masks, even Tibetan Stones are on offer in this peaceful space. Tel: 021 786 1544 Read More…
- Mineral World & Scratch Patch: this is another Simon’s Town shopping gem that is often overlooked because they are “No-kid travellers” or because it’s not on the main street. They have an incredible range of gemstone items from inexpensive souvenirs to collectors items! Stock items include jewellery (including gold, silver and facetted stones), gem trees, gemstone carvings, home decor items, ornaments and even executive games made from gemstones. Naturally there are rough, natural gemstones from the rock shop! Tel: 021 786 2020 Read More…
If you still haven’t found a Christmas gift for that special someone then consider giving the gift of experience. On the Cape Point Route you can do anything from horse riding to sea kayaking. Try surfing and landsailing. Go scuba diving or hiking, book a weekend away for the family. Check out our article on things to do this summer for more ideas or call Cape Point Route on 021 782 9356 for a Christmas Present experience. We can help plan the action for your special Christmas Gift for that special someone.
Cape Point Route offers day tours, packages, accommodation, activities and car hire in Cape Town’s south peninsula in addition to teambuilding events in Cape Town. Call 021 782 9356 or visit www.capepointroute.co.za
We are now on Pinterest!